Thursday, April 05, 2007

London on ice

Spring is around the corner, yet I don't feel like blossoming inside the coldish house I've been sitting. The good thing is I am not alone, Boobooloo (or Bubulu in Spanish), my friend's kitty, keeps me company all the time (he's so bloody needy!). His gorgeous blackness mews everyday at six or seven am to awake me into a new morning. Oh, the hard life of a city kitten!

Sadly, I've been rotting in a small town for far too long; so today when I realised I am going back to Dork on Monday, I felt doomed. I love living in a city and I love London. The borough where I am staying is full of Indians, Turkish, Africans and Polish and so and so. People dress colorfully and look so different from each other. Noisy weird languages tickle my ears on my way to the tube. The shops are stocked with food tagged with unreadable instructions. And I love that. Everyday I go to the shop and I buy something I never ate before and I am delighted with my findings. I've found also deliciously familiar stuff like plantain and tamarind. I feel no different from anyone around me. I can't fail to notice they treat me like yet another Londoner with a funny accent, one just like them. Who could hate all this?I was excited to find out there is an ice rink near the place I am staying. I never skated on ice in Mexico (to darn pricey and snobbish). However I did loads of rollerblade skating during my high school years that came handy when in a recent trip (probably the worst trip I've done in my life; everything that could go wrong went wrong) I had the chance to do some ice skating. I can't say I was in the mood, but giving the fact I was already having a shitty time, I decided I'd give it a try. As a result of the much unexpected fun I had, the whole skating thingy became one of the good highlights of the trip. I was not fantastic but you could say I managed after relatively few rounds. I thought I enjoyed myself enough to give it another go some time soon, so right at the end of the grand-voyage I bought myself a beautiful pair of blades, my special gift to commemorate the fucking trip was finally over.I didn't have many chances to wear my skates since, as I said, I live in a town not many people dare to call a city. During the winter holidays an outdoors ice rink was placed in the city centre, and I made my British debut there and then. But the fun was all over when they took the ice rink away in January. Thus, before I came down to London I decided to take the skates with me, just in case I found a rink nearby, which I happily did. The rink is in a community centre that is the brit version of a Polideportivo in Mexico. At least the level of grime in each corner and the utter lack of hygiene in the toilets reminded me of the cute Polideportivos of Mexicalpan. The place is called Alexandra Palace and it is placed on the top of a hill, about 15 min by bike from the house I am staying. It is is huge, with a beautiful old facade full of an air of old magnificence. I skated there for an hour the day before yesterday, and I will go back later today for sure. As I said, I love London.P.S. I went to a progressive rock fest to see Haggard and surprise surprise no one bloody knew them. Of course they were amazed by them after they saw them but I could hardly believe they are more famous on the other side of the pond than here, where Germany is just around the corner.

5 comments:

Nodens said...

Yo patine en hielo en guadalajara, curiosamente, ahi no es tan caro como en el D.F. pero si tuvo su costo a largo plazo : faltando 5 minutos para terminar la renta de los patines, me cai, pero el patin del pie izquierdo no se con que demonios se atoro que todo mi peso e impulso de mi caida recayo en mi tobillo, se me esguinzo y se imflamo por casi una semana y fue una lesion que me duro mas de un año y que hoy aun tiene secuelas :S y sirvio para descubrir, cuando me tomaron radiografias y una desitometria osea, estoy en el filito (linea entre zona verde y amarilla) para osteoporosis :s. Ahh , Haggard, yo los vi en el teatro Ferrocarrilero cuando apenas llevaban un ep y su rpimer album y los tocaron completos y pediamos mas, el vocalista pidiendo disculpas porque ya habian tocado todo lo que podian tocar y no les gustaba hacer covers, y , ante la necedad mezicalgenze, dijo ok podemos repetir algunas... y se arrancaron de nuevo, son chidos esos weyes..

Joel Pedraza said...

i hate you ¡¡¡ hate you ¡¡¡ another person who lives this $%$@ country jajajaja good travel ...

Alice said...

que chido que fuiste a ver a Haggard.. yo queria ir pero ya no hubo money... next time..

Gatita Cósmica said...

Yo he tenido muy malas experiencias con eso de la patinada en hielo, aunque no me importaría repetirlo si es en londres n_n

De link en link llegué aquí y planeo darme una vuelta de vez en cuando :)
Nice blog!!

titab said...

Nodens> Sí, en México los aman pero aquí Haggard es del grupo de los alegres desconocidos, que mola.

Alice> No te perdiste de mucho, tocaron 3 rolas nomás :S

Gatita> A muchos les cuesta trabajo al principio, pero realmente es riquisimo patinar sobre hielo.